Wendell Walsh

South Bend / Mishawaka, IN – Suppose you are unconscious and in a hospital. Your doctor has two treatment options and a decision must be made as to which will be pursued. Since you are not conscious, you cannot decide.

An Appointment of Health Care Representative (AHCR) is a legal document. When you sign an AHCR, you give someone else (your “Representative”) the authority to make decisions regarding your health care as if you were making those decisions yourself.

Your Representative must try to discuss the decision with you.  However, if you cannot communicate, your Representative may decide for you, after consulting with your physicians, other health care providers, and your family.

Usually, your Representative will be your spouse or one of your children. You may name a person as your Representative, and someone else as a “back-up”.

With the AHCR, you should also sign a separate document called a Living Will Declaration, in which you express your wishes as to end-of-life care.  Above all else, it’s vital that your family know your wishes. So, in addition to signing legal documents, most Seniors have direct and loving discussions with their spouse and their children so there is no misunderstanding when decisions must be made.

The content of this article is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. Your matter is factually sensitive and unique, and you should not rely on this article, this website, or prior results to predict the outcome of your case.

Related News and Insights: